What-does.net is your comprehensive online definition dictionary. If you are not sure how to define a certain word (Navigation, for example), our website can provide you with the appropriate definition. On this page, you can find what is the definition for Navigation.
navigation - 5 dictionary results
- 1. The act of navigating; the act of passing on water in ships or other vessels; the state of being navigable.
- 2. the science or art of conducting ships or vessels from one place to another, including, more especially, the method of determining a ship's position, course, distance passed over, etc., on the surface of the globe, by the principles of geometry and astronomy.
- 3. The management of sails, rudder, etc.; the mechanics of traveling by water; seamanship.
- 4. Ships in general.
- 5. Act of sailing; art of managing ships.
navigation - examples of usage
- He would make observations; perhaps, if need were, he might put off in a small boat and offer to assist in the navigation of the ship. - "The Beautiful Wretch; The Pupil of Aurelius; and The Four Macnicols", William Black.
- Over the years there had been some debate as to how the fort might be best located, with the result that in 1607 it was decided to locate it some distance up a river that would afford navigation for an ocean- going vessel but would force the enemy to fight his way inland against the disadvantage of the warning that could be given by an outer guard at the mouth of the river. - "The Virginia Company Of London, 1606-1624", Wesley Frank Craven.
- Nothing was further from her thoughts, she said, than navigation in any form. - "Somehow Good", William de Morgan.