What-does.net is your comprehensive online definition dictionary. If you are not sure how to define a certain word (Habit, for example), our website can provide you with the appropriate definition. On this page, you can find what is the definition for Habit.
habit - 9 dictionary results
- 1. ( religion) a distinctive attire ( as the costume of a religious order)
- 2. To inhabit.
- 3. The usual condition or state of a person or thing, either natural or acquired, regarded as something had, possessed, and firmly retained; as, a religious habit; his habit is morose; elms have a spreading habit; esp., physical temperament or constitution; as, a full habit of body.
- 4. The general appearance and manner of life of a living organism.
- 5. Fixed or established custom; ordinary course of conduct; practice; usage; hence, prominently, the involuntary tendency or aptitude to perform certain actions which is acquired by their frequent repetition; as, habit is second nature; also, peculiar ways of acting; characteristic forms of behavior.
- 6. Outward appearance; attire; dress; hence, a garment; esp., a closely fitting garment or dress worn by ladies; as, a riding habit.
- 7. To dress; to clothe; to array.
- 8. Ordinary state; acquired tendency; custom; dress; a garment.
- 9. To dress.
habit - examples of usage
- 8285. Have you always been in the habit of getting money for your wabster? - "Second Shetland Truck System Report", William Guthrie.
- 6342. Are you in the habit of knitting? - "Second Shetland Truck System Report", William Guthrie.
- 4093. Are you in the habit of knitting? - "Second Shetland Truck System Report", William Guthrie.