What-does.net is your comprehensive online definition dictionary. If you are not sure how to define a certain word (Awe, for example), our website can provide you with the appropriate definition. On this page, you can find what is the definition for Awe.
awe - 5 dictionary results
- 1. Dread; great fear mingled with respect.
- 2. The emotion inspired by something dreadful and sublime; an undefined sense of the dreadful and the sublime; reverential fear, or solemn wonder; profound reverence.
- 3. To strike with fear and reverence; to inspire with awe; to control by inspiring dread.
- 4. Reverential fear.
- 5. To strike with awe.
awe - examples of usage
- Dolph felt some degree of awe in approaching him; but was assured by the frank, hearty welcome with which he was received. - "Bracebridge Hall, or The Humorists", Washington Irving.
- They had held back in awe, but not in fear. - "Bracebridge Hall, or The Humorists", Washington Irving.
- Never had Opechanchanough and his men experienced such an awe of the unknown. - "The Princess Pocahontas", Virginia Watson.